Here you will find the most important questions and answers about CONNY and CO2 Ampel.
The name says it all. A CO2 meter measures and shows the measurement result on a small display. A CO2 Ampel goes far beyond this mere measurement. It interprets the measured values and signals the exceeding of a threshold (risk threshold) with a traffic light colour visible even from far away in the room.
On the one hand, the difference lies in the CO2 sensor used. An NDIR sensor (NDIR - nondispersive infrared sensor), as installed in our CO2 Ampel Conny, does not require recalibration after a few weeks. A VOC sensor also only measures other gases and then extrapolates the CO2 value.
Yes. You can activate the adaptation of a so-called "threshold dynamic" in relation to the humidity on each device via the app.
Yes. You can activate a so-called "silent mode" for both alarm levels. You can adjust this setting via the app.
A high-quality, durable and self-calibrating NDIR sensor from the swiss quality manufacturer Sensirion is used.
We have taken a room size of around 25 to 30 m² as a basis with a focus on safety from risky aerosol spread. There is no single sensor that reliably covers larger areas in enclosed spaces.
With reference to the average air composition, we assume a positioning of the traffic light at a room height of about 1.20 to 1.50 metres.
Yes. You can make settings in this regard with the associated mobile app. For safety reasons, minimum and maximum variations for the yellow and red signal thresholds are specified.
No. You only need to supply power to the Ampel. The colour display is based on the preset standard threshold values. WLAN operation is optional if you want to make your individual settings.
Yes. You can fix the unit with the wall bracket and secure it with an associated mechanical anti-theft device.
Your CO2 Ampel has a permanently open Wi-Fi access point. This access point allows you to connect to your CO2 Ampel, e.g. to view Live View, set new thresholds or connect the CO2 Ampel to your personal or institutional Wi-Fi. Switching off the access point feature is currently not planned.
A web interface is not necessary. All settings and documentation are done via the CO2 Ampel app. It is availabe for android and iOS.
It is possible to connect to a so-called third-party cloud. To do so, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
CO2 Ampel and Internet
The access data is saved during the first WLAN connection between the CO2 Ampel and smartphone. In addition, the check mark "Connect automatically" is activated. This means that your smartphone connects directly to this WLAN if it has not yet established another WLAN connection. To remove this setting, delete the tick for "Connect automatically" in the respective WLAN settings.
- iOS (Apple) at the moment through the "blue i".
- Android (e.g. Samsung) at the moment (depending on software version) through the "settings gear".
Your smartphone rates the quality of internet of WLAN connections. Confirm a possible message with: "Keep WLAN connected". Now you can use the CO2 Ampel app for direct local communication with your CO2 Ampel.
A connection of your smartphone to a WLAN (WLAN access point) does not at the same time mean that the WLAN includes a connection (e.g. via a router) to the internet.
Even if the CO2Ampel opens a WLAN access point, it is not connected to the internet. Therefore, your smartphone also has no internet connection when it is connected to the CO2 Ampel. Please disconnect the WLAN connection to get Internet access again.
Make sure you have the correct WLAN password. To do this, you can, for example, take a terminal device that is not yet connected to the WLAN (e.g. smartphone) and check the password and the WLAN connection there. If a connection is not possible here either, please contact your internal IT department for help.
- Please check the password for your WLAN connection.
- Check the number of possible connections/ IP addresses of your router(DHCP lease: dynamic host configuration protocol)
- We only support WLAN connections with the security standard WPA2.
- We do not support a WLAN connection without password.
- Make sure that your router does not have a MAC filter turned on (e.g.: Fritzbox "do not allow new WLAN subscribers").
From serial number 2021-, the WLAN access point will only be available for the first 15 minutes after the power supply plug is inserted. If you connect directly to the WLAN of your CO2 Ampel with your end device, the WLAN access point remains open as long as you are connected and another 15 minutes. To be able to connect to your CO2 Ampel even after these 15 minutes, briefly remove the power plug from the socket.
CO2 Ampel (Device)
Note: It is possible to switch off the colour display of your device via the app. Make sure that this setting was not selected. The default setting considers the color display.
Make sure that the power socket is working properly. To do this, you can connect another electronic device (e.g. mobile phone with charger). Also carry out a function test (cf. user manual "Function test") to find out which LED is not working.
If one of the colours green, yellow or red is not displayed, please contact us at email@example.com.
Please carry out a function test (see usre manual "Function test" (breathing air)). To test the green LED, please place your powered CO2 Ampel in fresh air away from a window and wait for some time. If problems persist, please contact our support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your CO2 Ampel does not show green, even in fresh air and for a longer period of time, please contact us at email@example.com.
Each sensor has a measurement accuracy of +/-30 ppm + 3%. However, the colours green, yellow, red only visualise ranges, so it may be that one CO2 Ampel measures a value of 970, for example, while the second one measures 1005. This can explain the different colours.
In addition, the placement in the room, e.g. in the draft between door and window or direct placement on the desk in the direction of exhalation, influences the measurement situation.
The CO2 Ampel can also differ in their threshold values, either set at the factory or adjusted afterwards. Please check the set threshold values (cf. operating instructions "Mobile Application").
To exclude the possibility that the sensors are working incorrectly due to external influences, place the CO2Ampel in fresh air, wait a short time and display the Live View (cf. operating instructions "Mobile application: operating mode A").
The CO2 concentration of exhaled air is very high. Therefore, it can happen that a value is directly measured that is above the red threshold value. For this reason, the yellow light is skipped. Please increase the distance to the CO2 Ampel when exhaling.
Please exhale slowly for a few seconds into the openings on the side of the CO2 Ampel.
If the CO2 Ampel does not show red even after several attempts, please contact our support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the moment it is not possible change the WLAN password of the CO2 Ampel. Starting with the 2021 batch, however, the WLAN will only be available for 15 minutes after the CO2Ampel is switched on.
The device version from 2021 closes its WLAN access point after a certain time. If you want to reconnect to the device, disconnect it briefly from the power supply.
If the QR code scanner does not work, the serial number can also be entered manually. You will find this on the type plate on the back of the device.
Please check your CO2 Ampel app settings in your smartphone under Settings -> "CO2 Ampel" to see if you have enabled permission for camera access for the CO2 Ampel app.
Make sure that your CO2traffic light is already in a group in your account. If this is not the case, please contact our support at email@example.com your device ID.
Die Cloud meldet nur Schwellwertänderungen als Push-Nachricht an die App. Wird Ihr Gerät zum ersten Mal bestromt und verbleibt Grün, sodass keine Änderung eintritt, werden dementsprechend keine Push-Nachrichten an die App verschickt. Diese Push-Nachricht ist aber wichtig, um der CO2 Ampel-App den Geräte-Zustand mitzuteilen.
Bitte führen Sie den Funktionstest durch, wodurch das Gerät einmal die gelbe und rote Schwelle überschreitet und Sie somit den Zyklus starten.
- Bitte pusten Sie langsam einige Sekunden lang in die seitlichen Öffnungen der CO2 Ampel.
- Sollte die CO2 Ampel auch bei mehreren Versuchen nicht Rot anzeigen, kontaktieren Sie bitte unseren Support unter firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can use the group function to create a larger number of CO2 Ampel devices for you in a clear allocation of the building areas (floors, departments etc.). Furthermore, you can access individual units more quickly with the help of groups. If you want to assign special functions (e.g. threshold value change) to individual groups, grouping makes this much easier.
The maximum number of groups that can be created has been limited to 100. If you have a need for more than 100 groups, please contact our support at email@example.com.
The number of devices that can be added is unlimited.
If you do not receive push notifications, this may be due to the following reasons:
- Your smartphone is not connected to the internet
- You have disabled the push notification (messages) for the CO2 Ampel app
- You have enabled the energy-saving mode and your smartphone blocks push notifications
For fast delivery of your messages and instant notifications, your phone must be configured correctly.
Make sure your phone has a working internet connection
Please check this by opening a web page in your browser.
If you can open web pages but the CO2 Ampel does not work, you need to contact your mobile operator or system administrator. Make sure your APN and router are correctly configured to allow non-HTTP/non-web and socket connections. You can also try another connection. While connected to a WLAN, try to connect via mobile data and vice versa.
Make sure that the background data is not restricted
- Open your phone settings >Apps & Notifications >CO2 Ampel >Mobile Data and Wi-Fi.
- Make sure that "Background data" is activated.
- Repeat these steps for Google Services.
Reception problems with push notifications on Samsung devices
If your Samsung device has Android 9 installed and push messages are only loaded when you open the app, please proceed as follows:
- Go to "Settings >Device Maintenance >Battery" and tap "⋮" in the upper right corner
- Under "Power management of apps", set all switches except the one for "Notifications" to "off".
- Tap on "Apps in standby" and delete "CO2 Ampel"from the list (if listed) by tapping on the recycle bin icon at the top right, then select "CO2 Ampel" and confirm by tapping on "Remove".
- Set the switch at "Settings for energy optimisation" to "off
Adjustments can be reset by operating system updates. You will then have to do this again.
If you are using Android 7 on a Samsung device and push messages are not loaded until you open the app, please follow these steps:
- Under "Settings >Device Maintenance>Battery", switch off "Energy Saving Mode" (or switch on "Background Network Use" in the case of another energy saving mode).
- Under "Settings > Device Maintenance> Battery > ... > Advanced Settings" switch off the "App Energy Monitoring".
- Under "Settings > Device maintenance > Battery >Battery consumption > ... > Optimise battery consumption", select "All apps" in the drop-down menu and set the switch for "CO2 Ampel" to "off".
- Under "Settings> Connections > WLAN > Advanced", set the setting "Leave WLAN switched on in standby mode" to "Always
- Under "Settings> Apps >CO2 Ampel>Mobile data connection", switch on "Background data use".
Reception problems with push notifications on Huawei devices
If push messages are not loaded on your Huawei device until you open the app, follow the steps below:
Restart your mobile phone
- In CO2 Ampel, go to "Settings>About CO2 Ampel >Troubleshooting>Troubleshoot unit configuration problems".
- Select "Enable background execution" and follow the instructions on the screen
- Select "Activate background data" and follow the on-screen instructions
EMUI 9 (on Android 9)
- Go to "Settings > Battery" and make sure that the following options are all disabled: "Power Mode", "Power Saving" and "Ultra Power Saving".
- Tap (in "Settings > Battery") on "App Start".
- Scroll down to CO2 Ampel and set the switch there to "Off".
- A dialogue with three options ("Auto Start", "Secondary Start" and "Run in Background") appears: Make sure that all three options are activatedand confirm by tapping "OK".
If you are not using EMUI 9, please follow the steps below. The paths refer to EMUI 5.0 under Android 7.0; depending on the device and operating system version, the menu items may be located elsewhere and/or labelled differently.
- Disable power saving mode: Go to "Settings > Battery > Close apps after locks" and set "Do not close" at "CO2 traffic light".
- Enable background data: Go to "Settings > Apps & Notifications > Apps > CO2 Ampel> Data Usage", scroll down and set "Mobile Data" and "WLAN" to "Allowed".
Reception problems with push notifications on Xiaomi devices
If your Xiaomi device vibrates for incoming messages but no pop-up is displayed and no sound is played, please activate the notification signals as described in this guide.
If push messages are not loaded on your Xiaomi device until you open the app, please follow the steps below:
- Restart your mobile phone.
- Go to "Settings >Additional Settings >Battery & Power > Manage App Power Consumption" and turn off Power Saving Mode there.*
- Open the app "Security", go to "Permissions", and add CO2 Ampel to "Autostart".*
- Access the running apps screen (by pressing the menu button on your device), drag CO2 Ampel down until the lock icon appears, and tap the lock icon.*
- In the app "Security", open the settings (by tapping on the cogwheel icon in the top right-hand corner), select "Data consumption" and activate "Allow background data".*
- In addition, it might help to switch off "Memory optimisation" in the "Developer options" of EMIUI (under "Settings > Other settings"). To unlock the "Developer options", go to "Settings > About device" and tap "EMUI version" several times.*
Reception problems with push notifications on Sony devices
Deactivate the STAMINA mode in the battery settings of your device and activate the background data for CO2 Ampel in the system settings.
Reception problems with push notifications on additional devices
If you have a mobile phone of a brand not listed here, please contact the manufacturer. Look for "[Name des Herstellers] and energy-saving mode" using an Internet search engine such as google.de.
Even in closed rooms or in rooms where only one person is present and there is no regular air exchange, it is possible for the measured values to reach 1000 ppm and more. The CO2 concentration in the air depends on many factors (number of people, type of window opening, position of the CO2 Ampel in relation to the user, etc.) and can also fluctuate within the room - depending on the factors encountered.
To make sure that your CO2 Ampel gives a correct reading, place it in the fresh air, wait for some time and have the current reading displayed via the live view (current outdoor CO2readings range between 400 and 500 ppm).
For normal operation, please do not place the CO2 Ampel near an open window or door, as this will lead to distorted measurement results due to the exchange of air.
If a reading > 500 ppm is displayed in fresh air, please contact our support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Devices of newer versions have a recalibration function (especially after possible damage after impact/fall) with the help of the app.
Please refer to the unit label (packaging, back of the unit) for factory thresholds. In addition, thresholds can be set as desired on the cloud side or locally via the app.
Basically, when adding a device, you can specify whether local settings apply or whether recommended thresholds should be loaded from the cloud. If you have decided on the local thresholds, you can use the app to set the thresholds individually for yourself via a direct WiFi connection. If you want to change the setting for the use of the thresholds (cloud/local offline) afterwards, you can do this via the app. See operating instructions "Mobile application: Operating mode A: Local unit operation".
The settings you have selected in cloud-based operation overwrite the local values.
In institutions, the WiFi is administered as part of a network (in contrast to domestic WiFi in the private area). The responsible IT department should be involved here. The following communications must be allowed:
- WPA2 for IEEE 802.11n
- DHCP (UDP 67 and 68)
- DNS (UDP 53, TCP 53, UDP 853, TCP 853)
- Resolution of the following hostnames: *.co2ampel.inline und *.online
- Outgoing connections HTTPs Client (TLS 443)
- Outgoing connections HTTPs Client (TLS 20001)